After the wedding which was such a joyful event came a week of preparation for the celebration of Hazels life.
It was my first Aussie funeral, which in the end turned out to be very like a UK one but the organisation was very different. The Funeral Directors are based more on USA traditions, for instance an open casket is not unusual. Although in true Aussie style all was very laid back, we met the chap conducting the service just an hour before the funeral. Greg (No 2 son) wrote and delivered a wonderful eulogy which had us alternating between laughter and tears. The service flowed from start to finish and was very lovely, a celebration as Hazel would have wanted. We had collected rose petals from our gardens to scatter and these combined with the beautiful roses on her coffin created an amazing scent.
And so life goes on......
Temperatures have been alternating between 13c and 30c, which I'm told is a little unusual. All the creeks are full and there are water birds a plenty. I've spotted three different types of Ibis, lots of baby ducks, goslings and cygnets.
Some of the gum trees have just come into flower and in the early mornings joyful, colourful and noisy Lorikeets happily feast on the nectar at their very own Gum Tree Cafe.
The potatoes have grown faster than I have ever known them grow before and I've not used any particular rocket fuel on them. We should be eating them by Christmas. The herbs are doing very well as is the lettuce crop. The lettuces are all native varieties but for now I can't remember their names. We are looking forward to trying them which should be soon. Weeds are still trying their hardest and as the ground hardens off it gets more difficult to dig them out.
No comments:
Post a Comment