Friday, 4 July 2014

Trees... lots of 'em

But first spinning a yarn.....

Every now and then over the last few months I've dusted off the spinning wheel, combed out some more of the huge bag of fleece and had another go at spinning.  My first attempt unsupervised at home with my newly refurbished wheel I was concentrating so hard at getting the right (slow) rhythm going with my foot and hands I hadn't realised that the wheel was steadily moving across the floor.  It wasn't until it crashed into the sofa and I almost fell of my chair I noticed just how far I'd gone!  Hauling the thing back to my spinning mat (not literally a moving around mat) I re-oiled all moving parts and thankfully stopped travelling.

I have finally, after three days with the very patient ladies of the spinning group and quite a few hours at home, managed to fill two bobbins of what is very kindly called Novelty Yarn. And had a go at plying them together and making my very first skein... (I use that term loosely)
1st skein of Novelty Yarn

1st attempt at plying


I'm not entirely sure what I will do with it after I've washed it though I have suggested to Rick that if I make something for him it would be his duty to wear it.  Obviously I need a lot more practice and constantly need to remind my foot to slow down, I am after all not in a race.  The last spinning group I went to there were about 11 ladies with their wheels, all very different all making different noises (I am referring to the wheels there), it was a great sight with the brave brief glimpse I had when I took my eyes off my wheel.  Very peaceful... you seriously can not think about anything else, thank goodness breathing is a reflex.

Tree Planting Festival
The weather has been getting steadily wetter, windier and colder as the weekend approached, though there have been beautiful warm sunny moments as well.  The rain gauges and tanks have been filling up fast. Months ago (when the weather was warm) we had volunteered for The Naracoorte Caves Tree Planting Festival which was to take place on what was now looking to be the stormiest day of the week.

Run by Natural Resources South East, volunteers had been asked to help plant some 15,000 seedlings to create a link and protect habitat for native plants and wildlife, including the South-eastern Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo.  We gathered as much warm wear and wet weather gear as we could find (thank you to Deb and Robert for their donation) and de-spidered the wellies.  On the day we discovered the elastic on Ricks waterproof trousers had given up the ghost, so armed with changes of clothing off we trekked to our meeting point at Straun House.

We were amazed at just how many people turned up, almost a coach full of us were shuttled to Sand Cave, split into teams of ten and introduced to our team leaders. Once shown how to plant the seedlings we were let loose on the designated planting areas. The Natural Resources people were full of information and very happy to share any knowledge. Our fellow team members were friendly there was a great sense of everyone working for a common cause.

The Lions Club did a fantastic job of the catering.  Homemade cakes for the morning 'smoko' (tea-break), Pumpkin Soup and barbie for lunch and more homemade cakes for the 'arvo smoko' (afternoon tea-break).  Delicious...


Some of us taking a quick break before being moved on to a fresh planting site. We dug holes with a neat tool like an unsprung pogo stick.  At one point I stopped walloping the guard stakes with my mallet to see Rick disappearing up the hill like a Roo on one!

Lunch time entertainment, they were really good.


A camera crew turned up to record the planting for a kiddies programme, which was great but every time we thought we'd given them the slip we found a camera in our faces.  Not a make up lady in sight and definitely not one of my most glam moments .... hay ho....





It was great fun and by the end of the day we'd planted about 5,000 trees and shrubs all had a real sense of achievement.... as well as happy full tummies.
Good job done






No comments:

Post a Comment