Monday, 9 December 2013

What an amazing week.....

The weather got steadily better as the week progressed, Wednesday was blown in and rain clouds were plentiful and threatening.  No worries... or so I thought.  Apart from a very special breakfast followed by, reading delightful messages from friends here and friends and family in the UK, card and pressie opening I had no idea how the day was going to unfold.

Rick totally surprised me with a glider flight, which he had booked for lunchtime.  All rugged up (winter clothes on) we set off to the Adelaide Soaring Club... it's a good couple of hours from here.  As the journey progressed the weather got windier and the rains started.  Oh dear, not ideal gliding weather then, I held on to comforting thoughts that it would be cancelled if deemed dangerous.

Luckily by the time we arrived the clouds were less threatening and fairly white, there was still a very fresh southerly wind blowing but apparently that was ok for gliding.

It was all very laid back.  After I had signed a form saying I was ok with gliding and aware of the dangers... there is nothing like a reality check like that! the lady reassured me it was perfectly normal to want to visit the bathroom 40 or so times in 1/2 hour!!

The tiny glider was taxied up to us on the back of a golf buggy, it was about this time I realised just how light they are.  I was asked how much I weigh so the ballast could be adjusted, getting it right means a less bumpy flight so it was a good incentive to be totally truthful.  They were very polite about it.


Ballast suitably adjusted I lowered myself into the cockpit, strapped in and given strict instructions on what not to touch while I was there.

That was about it for instructions.  I was introduced to Gabby my pilot and was comforted by the fact he'd been flying for over 50 years.
A short swift tow by another very light aircraft and we were up up and away.

Gabby talked me through things as they happened, which for me was the best way to do it.  We needed to fly under the clouds for their thermals to enable us to climb but this was also the bumpiest part of the adventure.

I felt decidedly queasy watching the little aircraft in front trying hard to stay on course, it was being well and truly buffeted around in the winds.


Focusing on what Gabby was telling me and the horizon helped steady my tummy.

Very quickly we were at 3000 feet and the tow rope was released and we were free to glide like an eagle.  WOW what an experience, it was a bit nosier than I thought it would be but at the same time peaceful.  It was still bumpy as Gabby played with the thermals and we very quickly gained another 700 feet.  The view was stunning and as we slowly and very gracefully climbed Gabby pointed out the landmarks.  From that vantage point we could see just about 30 miles!  Amazing.



I realised the combination of my glasses and the movement of the aircraft were doing very odd things to my tummy and I was very grateful I had not yet had lunch!  Taking the glasses off really helped.

All to soon we were on our way down to terra firma.  Gabby did a fantastic job of landing the glider, actually more like setting it down very gently on the run way. I was very surprised to hear we'd been in the air for 29 minutes!




I didn't need assistance getting out, once the harness had been released, but I was a little pale around the edges and slightly wobbly.  The flight had also done strange things to my appetite, most unlike me.

An hour or so later and everything was back to normal and we were tucking into a delicious lunch.




We had just got home and Rick revealed he had one more treat in store.  A delicious dinner at one of my favourite eating places, The Rising Sun, well within staggering distance.  I have been well and truly spoilt.

We were up early the next day packing ready to set off to Naracoorte via the draftsman to discuss house plans.

The meeting went very well and the plans needed hardly any alterations.  The next stage is for us to get the footings drawn up by an engineer, get that sent back to the draftsman for him to put everything together ready to submit to Council for approval.  We are still hoping to get it all done before Xmas... this year.

Next stop was the letting agents in Naracoorte, we have rented a unit and needed to sign on the dotted line and get the keys.  Robert and Deb had very kindly checked it over for us but this was the first time we'd seen it.  All good and now we are planning the move down there which will happen before Xmas.... but only just.

Those jobs done we were able to relax a little, sort out the trees on the block which looked very sad and in desperate need of water and get ready to feed 11 people on the Saturday for my final birthday celebration.



The weather was very kind and temperatures reached 27.  It was a great evening, very relaxed, great company, lots of laughter, delicious food and wine.

I would highly recommend a week long celebration and summer birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment