Tuesday, 5 July 2016

Big Bertha

We are very lucky to have a couple of Kookaburras which we think nest in our big tree near the new shed. They are so funny to watch and make the most amazing sounds, when they both get going it is fantastic. We are woken up most mornings by our lovely Kookaburra Alarm Clocks going off. Sometimes we are able to watch them hunt, sitting very still with heads on one side listening for any tiny movement of their prey. I saw this little fella but not until I saw the photo on the laptop did I see the star behind him.



 For a couple of days now Rick has been crash bashing away down at his shed, nothing unusual there but I hadn't realised that he was cobbling together our collection of the iconic Hills Hoists. Over the last couple of years folk around have heard that we'd really like a traditional Hills Hoist washing line. They still make them BUT not like they used to. So as pieces have been found they've been passed on to us. Nothing complete but luckily Rick is very handy with welding and mechanical knowledge and here we have it. Fanfare of trumpets......
The repaired top part of one of the Hills Hoists with a wingspan to rival a 747. It's the mother of all Hoists and I believe I could easily dry the washing for the entire neighbour on it.




Base firmly concreted in and a patient wait for the top to be fitted.












And here she is Big Bertha our very own hybrid Hills Hoist. 


No comments:

Post a Comment