Thursday, 30 April 2015

News on the home front

Now in between all the gadding about we have been doing we have also been working on the house, veg patch, land rovers and shed.

Garden
It still surprises me that although it is Autumn and turning chilly it is also the growing season! So I have cleared out half of the raised bed and built the soil back up again and planted it up with Brussels Sprouts (well Rick likes them!) and then discovered that coriander is a great companion plant for them. So gaily scattered the seeds around them. I've also put in All Seasons carrots and some beetroot. The rest of the bed still has a self seeded cherry tomato (courtesy of Deb) heavy with tomatoes which are still ripening! Silver Beet with beautiful glossy dark green leaves, makes you feel health just looking at it. A very large and rambling courgette or zuchinni depending on which side of the planet you are on, and some gorgeously bright nasturtiums. So I can't do much with this side of the bed just yet.

Keen to make the most of the planting season I stripped out what was left of the sweet corns. The lesson I've learnt with these is they really don't like being blasted with South Westerly winds, mind you neither would I. And having topped up the soil with all sorts of nutritious delights in went Broad Beans, which did so well last year.... I must remember to also put up a wind shield for them.

I've sadly lost the Cranberry I'd been trying to grow but in it's place found a real surprise. The chilly plants I'd brought have really not liked being in the trough and are struggling... but these ones are not only free but are growing in abundance.
No idea where they self seeded from but I'm delighted to have them.

We also made use of a plant sale at the local nursery and saved tons of money buying loads of native plants. These we've planted near the septic tank, hoping that when they all grow they will make a wonderful wind break and also give our neighbours and us some privacy when we are both sitting on our verandahs. Well that's the plan any way.

THE SAW HORSES
With the cooler weather coming we have been noticing various drafts in the house, which will all change once we have internal doors, skirting and window sills. Tackling the largest things first Rick has been busy putting up the beautiful old doors we had got from the clearance sale.
It fits! Awaiting the stripping process.

Stripped and almost ready to be sealed.

They are really beautiful solid timber, we think Red Ceder, doors, no idea what the panels are. But as I learnt from my first attempt it is quite a challenge getting rid of the Shellac which was hiding under the numerous coats of paint. Every day is a school day and slowly I'm getting the hang of the best process and even (dare I say it) speeding up! 

To start with I realised I needed trestles to rest the doors on which were the right height for me. Inspired by Rick and Deb and their ability to turn their hands to anything I thought I'd have a go at building my own. I think my Mum would have been totally amazed I'd even attempted to do such a thing. Anyway a couple of days later I had two very sturdy Saw Horses whose feet all reached the ground at the same time!!























The Shed
Rick is at last erecting the old shed, I think I'll let the pictures tell the story on this one, it hasn't been without it's comic moments. Luckily both Rick and the shed are still intact.


As well as erecting the shed and stripping back or repairing Landies Rick made a cupboard for the laundry sink!
It's not surprising we're a tad sleepy when evening falls and we get a chance to relax.

Signs of Autumn
It is so lovely to catch sight of these beautiful Nerines down by the Landy Stable. I discovered the other day you can also get bright orange ones here. Back in certain UK gardens,come the Autumn there will be the beautiful pale pink variety bring some of there cheer to the flower beds.


Not sure what this gorgeous tree is but it seems to like us being here. I think it has almost doubled in size since we've moved down. It's a lovely reminder of the beautiful northern hemisphere colours at this time of year.



No comments:

Post a Comment