Wednesday, 22 October 2014

House update and The Naracoorte Show

Brad was on a mission to finish the walls before his holiday began at the end of the week. As the wall took shape so did our thoughts on the actual wall heights. They are low enough now to let in more natural light but still high enough to hide our blushes and not to shock the neighbours (for which I am sure they will be grateful), when we shower.
The stones were quarried locally and when you take a closer look they hold a beautiful treasure trove of natural history. Shells and ocean flora and fauna trapped and hidden for thousands of years, slowly turning into what we now call Paddock stone.
It is hard to imagine just how old this shell is and fantastic it wasn't damaged in the quarrying.
Once the wall was complete Rick could crack on with finishing the verandah louvres. With much contorting and grimacing later it was a job well done. They look fantastic and the angle and distance the blades were finally set at seem to work well. This week has been really hot and sunny, temperatures in the 30's already and even without the ceiling insulation finished it is still fairly cool in the house.
The Naracoorte Show

The 151th Naracoorte Annual Show was held at the weekend and the Naracoorte Spinning Group were to be represented. In true laid back fashion anyone who wanted to be there to set it up and stay and spin were welcome. Requests were made for skeins and balls of yarns, home knitted items, well infact anything which had been homemade to be taken for display. Up to this request I was still very undecided if what I'd managed to spin could be turn into anything recognisable. Slightly shamed by the fact that Deb had already spun and knitted a beautiful alpaca and wool snood/scarf I was persuaded to make something, with just two weeks to go it had to be pretty simple.....

So here it is my very first attempt at spinning yarn and knitted into a Japanese Knot Bag, which I even lined with Calico. Very rustic looking but a clever pattern as it is knitted in the round the only seam is the base.
This is our Spinning Corner. We had four very different wheels there in total, one was set up for anyone to try their hand at spinning. We had people of all ages having a go.
Alison in pole position to chat to passersby.

I thought the display was amazing, from wall hangings to finely spun and knitted throws, jumpers, beanies, scarfs, dolls, felt, all hand made some even hand dyed. We also had bags of many different yarns, loads of different skeins and balls of yarn.
Isabel and Jan catching up
It was great fun and I was amazed just how many people stopped to chat and tell their stories. Jan did a fantastic job getting people to give it a go, from Littleies who couldn't reach the treadle to the Biggies who always wanted to try. Some were brilliant at it straight away.

It's a 1st!
Just before leaving for the show I got a call from one of the girls saying she needed Sweet Peas, so I grabbed the bunch I'd picked the day before and Deb and I headed off to raid her garden.

At lunchtime Isabel congratulated me on getting a first, I had no idea what she was talking about. It turned out that there would have been only one entrant for the Sweet Pea class at the show. Isabel realising this rang around and 'conned' three of us spinning ladies into bringing in Sweet Peas and duly entered us all for the competition. It was hilarious that we managed to win 1st, 2nd and 3rd with mine and Deb's bunch coming 1st!!!!
Our prize winning Sweet Peas
The first time we'd entered anything like that

No comments:

Post a Comment