It is amazing what can come out of a casual conversation. We popped into Deb and Roberts on our way to the block and stopped for a chat and a coffee... well it would be rude to refuse. I happened to mention that I was keen to invest in some posts and have a go at making my first raised veggie bed.
Before we knew it we were on our way to a local farmers (50 km away) to pick up some 'old' vineyard support posts. After negotiating a very good price (90p each) we selected 40 of the best of the 8' posts, they all have a lovely weathered look and a bit of character to them. Whilst there I happened to mention I needed some hay, within seconds the big trailer was being loaded up. It was so lucky we had the big trailer and Roberts UTE so we could carry it all back to the block.
All that was needed now was some really good soil... again Deb and Robert came to the rescue. They just happened to need their 'old' drive reveling and offered us the soil. So the next day we made a start and dug and moved a couple of big trailer loads. The days, at the moment, start off on the chilly side and warm up to anywhere between 20 and 35 degrees. Today it got up to the 35 mark which is not the best for digging, it was a bit hard going but such a wonderful feeling to have done some hard physical work. I discovered once you find your own rhythm digging becomes like a meditation, it's a great feeling.
The holes for the new lean-to were dug. I think Fred thought Rick was trying to find old bones for him!
After a lot of checking the spirit level, nail biting moments of Rick and Robert just about balanced on ladders which were balanced on the back of the UTE the really tall posts were in place.
It was a very long but very satisfying day and we did sleep well that night.
The next day after digging the post holes for my raised veggie bed the Dingo was returned to the hire company. The day was warming up Rick and I felt we could do with a break so we took off for a spin in Dora.
We took the scenic route which was beautiful and varied from great tall trees to wide open fields. We spotted an Echidna crossing the road. These are like small shy porcupines which would rather play dead than attack with their spiny armoured coats.
Eventually you could smell the sea. Southend on Sea is a very sleepy little holiday destination, packed with happy campers, a lovely sandy beach and hardly anything else.
This roundabout at Beachport made us smile, this is a very colourful and much busier little town with a lovely harbour front, hopefully you'll be able to see the beautifully decorated roundabout.
Back to the block.... It's taken about a week and much help from Harry (and he thought he'd come here for a holiday) loads of heavy soil shifting, advice and encouragement from Deb (what would I do without her) and I finally completed the first raised veggie bed.
I'm amazed at just how much soil has been used to fill this 4' x 16' bed. I started by using a whole heap of newspaper I picked up from the recycling centre to line the bed and act as a weed suppressant. Followed by a generous layer of the hay which we topped with very mature sheep poo we dug up from the small lean to by the side of the shed. Topping off with the beautiful top soil from Deb and Roberts drive. I've been raising some veggie seeds and after raking in a layer of blood and bone I'll start the planting.
We've got bush beans, baby beetroot, silverbeet, onions to start with, broccoli and broadbeans will follow shortly. It's also the season for planting coriander, mint, parsley, garlic and chives. We also managed to get the golden passion flower in the ground along with it's pot companion the rock melon. After the initial shock of being moved they very quickly picked up and all doing really well.
Hopefully will will soon start to reap the benefits of finally having our own veggie patch.... I can hardly wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment