Thursday, 14 March 2013

Birthday celebrations

The past week has been very busy, Annie left us on Tuesday morning heading back to Sydney to meet with 3 girlfriends and drive up to Cairns. Which left me with Wednesday to prepare for Rick's special birthday celebrations which were being held down at Naracoorte.  Thursday actually being the day he turned 21 again!

THE day started as usual at 5 am and a quick 4.5km walk around the 'block' followed by loading the trailer with more heavy duty 'stuff' to take to Naracoorte.  Before I knew where the time had gone it was time for the yoga class, gentle stretching in an air conditioned room really appealed.  It turned out to be a pretty tough class I was very surprised at the way legs can bend and people can still walk afterwards!

Back home and by this time the heat had risen to 35c and a promise of another 4c by the afternoon... phew. As it was Rick's birthday I figured it was his decision for where to go to lunch.  He decided a cycle ride to the Botanic Gardens through the Parklands was in order... unfortunately for my already tired and slightly wobbly legs it was up hill!  But really worth doing, the gardens as I'm sure I have said many times before are a real oasis and very beautiful.

After lunch and a wonder around I discovered Betsy had somehow split her rear tyre and the tube was beginning to bulge out alarmingly.  This meant a trip to the bike shop and a ride through the heavy traffic and what felt like many hills to get there.  I could hardly speak by the time we arrived and was way beyond the glowing stage that ladies are supposed to do!!  Standing in the bike shop I realised there was a puddle on the floor beside me, which turned out (thankfully) to be from their air-conditioning unit and not me sweating!!



We had a really early start on the Friday (still dark), I thought I was quite awake and doing really well until I tried to put the Territory in gear! As it's an automatic I didn't get very far... oh dear!


On the way there was the most fantastic sunrise, the sky changing from pinks and oranges to liquid gold, the sky show went on for about an hour.  It's a shame this picture doesn't do it justice but hopefully it will give you some idea.


We were in another convoy but this time only one trailer which Dora was happily pulling.  We stopped for a break about every 100km, this is a very happy Rick with a very happy Dora, loaded trailer and the Territory behind.

It was a beautiful drive along the Coorong and this time I spotted 5 Wedge Tailed Eagles along the way.  Amazing......





Arriving in Naracoorte just after lunch and not a lot of time left before we met with the builders for a drawing update.  To our surprise their interpretation of our 'ideal home description' was very different to how we thought we'd described it.  Hmmm... after a bit of a stunned silence we went through it again and they've gone back to the drawing board.



Saturday was sent preparing for the party after unloading the trailer and some time on the block. As you can see I've got an easy job again.  The Pepper Tree behind me has started to 'green up' and the Canna Lilies which you can't see are going great guns.







The neighbours opposite breed Deer.   This is one of the young bucks, Fred spotted him at the same time he realised he was being watched. Their field is just over the road so we can easily sit and watch them.  It's coming up to the rut and we should soon start seeing wild deer coming in.


 This is what is locally called a Red Larry or I think a Rosella, not the best photo, but hopefully you can see the amazing colours.  There are a pair of them nesting in one of the trees not far from the block.  The same morning a couple of Kookaburra's were 'laughing' an amazing sound and so loud.  At times it feels like I have moved into a very large aviary... very beautiful.

For those of you who are interested this link should take you to a site where you can listen to and learn about all the birds I've told you about.  http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/birds/featured/Top-40-Bird-Songs

Time to focus on the party.   Deb had done a sterling job making several delicious puddings (here they're called sweets), all of which I could eat..... pecan pie and apple pie to name two.  I made a GF Carrot Cake (Deb's recipe) 'iceing' it with coconut cream, icing sugar, lemon juice, the birthday cake and very easy to do and delicious. Robert & Deb provided three very large chunks of meat, lamb, rump and pork to BBQ.  Perfectly cooked and accompanied by various salads and washed down with lots of local wine our sit down celebration with 22 friends went really well.  A fun time was had by all......

Monday (luckily) was a Bank Holiday for the Adelaide Cup, after lunch we had a gentle drive home.

Till next time.... Ooroo

No comments:

Post a Comment